Get Free Shots from Snap.com

cancer...and then what ?

>> Monday, June 8, 2009

First you go for your regular medical check-up. It's the annual routine thing and you walk into the clinic with a huge smile. A few day's later, you get a call asking that you meet with your doctor as soon as you can to discuss the results of your test. Then your doctor drops the bomb on you and ends the sentence with "don't worry". Hey...who has cancer now ? Unless you have it too, don't tell me not to worry you jackass ! All sorts of thoughts travel through your head at lightning speed. NO, I am not a victim of cancer but since the beginning of 2009, I've had 2 friends diagnosed with cancer. I've often had this thought in my mind....what if I fall ill when I'm 70 and I have no financial means to seek medical attention and I won't even have insurance then ? Will I just have to be patient, pray and wait for death to mercifully come knocking at my door ? What we have in the nest today may hardly be enought to to feed ourselves what with the cost of inflation. So am I pessimistic to say that only the rich will survive and let the poor die ? It's a sad thought that has caused me a great deal of worry lately. I won't even have kids to care for me. Malaysia is so unlike Europe where there are retirement homes. It is something that you can plan for at a younger age. So what if we have a pension fund when a single coronary ailment alone will deplete this resource. Ok OK I'm running away with my thought.

Back to cancer....
My friend's husband who was diagnosed with cancer early this year has so far spent more than RM100K on treatment. He's just complete the 4th cycle of chemo and was told that the cancer had spread to his spine. Cost of chemo has increased 3x ! They are considerably worried about their finances and that was before they got the news that the cancer had spread. My other friend that was diagnosed with breast cancer 2 months back is waiting for treatment at a government hospital. It's a long waiting list and she told me this, "I really wonder whether I will survive all the waiting or not". It's sad and disheartening how the will to fight and survive is hampered by the balance in our bank account. My 2nd friend's insurance policy can hardly afford her medical treatment at a private hospital. In a way, I know that she has lost hope and prefers to keet whatever remaining money for her son and mother. All this got me thinking about life and I conclude that I will pray hard to die in my sleep. That seems to be my only hope and the hope of many for now.

0 comments:

beeMP3

Maria Vidal - Body Rock
Found at bee mp3 search engine

Ads by Nuffnang

Blog & Earn

Earn $$ with WidgetBucks!

Blogger.my

Blogged.my

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP